Which school of philosophy was it that suggested that your private life and public life should be compartmentalized? In other words, don't bring your work home with you, and don't let your domestic issues impact your work. I think it was the stoics, but I am not sure. Can you help?

July 5, 2012

Response from Oliver Leaman on July 8, 2012
I don't think it was the Stoics, and this sort of compartmentalization would be disapproved of by most philosophers, as far as I can see. It is the sort of thing we tend to condemn, like people doing something of which they should be thoroughly ashamed at work and then coming home and ignoring it or pretending it never happened. Philosophers tend to suggest that people need to consider their lives as a whole, considering the effect on their moral character of both their work and leisure activities.